Diversity & Inclusion Awards Program
Presented by the Division of Cultural Affairs and Citizens for Florida Arts, Inc.
The Diversity & Inclusion Awards Program recognizes the efforts of individuals working to make arts and cultural programming in Florida as diverse and inclusive as possible. The Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs recognizes Florida’s diversity as one of the key attributes to the state’s vibrant cultural landscape and through this program aims to support the ongoing dedication of Florida’s cultural organizations to lead in this area.
2018 Diversity and Inclusion Award Recipients
|Arts Ballet Theatre of Florida||$1,000|
|ArtSouth, A Not-For-Profit Corporation||$1,000|
|Asian Cultural Association of Central Florida||$1,000|
|Atlantic Center for the Arts||$500|
|Coexistence, Inc., Embracing Our Differences||$1,000|
|Dr. Gary Keating , The Fort Lauderdale Gay Men's Chorus||$750|
|Florida Tax Collectors’ Kids Tag Art Program||$1,000|
|Henry B. Plant Museum||$500|
|Karen Peterson and Dancers, Inc.||$500|
|Michael Killoren, Morean Arts Center||$500|
|Michael-Ann Russell Jewish Community Center||$750|
|Orlando Repertory Theatre||$1,000|
|Partnership for Strong Families||$750|
|Suzanne Pomerantzeff, Academy of Ballet Arts||$1,000|
|The Arc of Palm Beach County||$500|
|Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe of Florida, Inc.||$750|
About this Program
The Diversity & Inclusion Awards Program recognizes innovative and exceptional efforts that promote diversity in arts and cultural programming. The diversity in nominated programs represents efforts to broaden the reach of individuals engaged in cultural programming in Florida. Inclusion addresses the programs and organizational strategies that welcome and embrace the strengths and perspectives each person involved contributes.
Efforts awarded may address diversity and inclusion in the following areas:
- Demographic Diversity
- Socioeconomic Diversity
- Cultural Heritage
- Sexual Orientation
The Awards program is two-fold, recipients receive a monetary award to reinvest in the initiative or program recognized and also receives recognition and visibility through the following Department efforts:
- press release of award recipients
- highlight of program (as model) in online publication posted on the Division’s website and shared with grantees
- recognition and presentation of awards at the Convening Culture Conference in February 2016
A webinar about the program and the application process was held on October 22, 2015 at 2:00 pm EST. To download the slides from the presentation, click here.
Nominees must be Florida residents or Florida non-profit or public organizations. Nominations for an individual must be for their work on behalf of an effort or initiative that is associated with a nonprofit or public organization.
- Awards are accepted via nomination in the following categories:
- Initiative with Minimal Resources – recognizes efforts that do not have significant resources allocated or are in early/seed stages
- Sustained Investment (showing impact over a period of 2 or more years)
- Extra Mile – Recognizes an individual leading excellent work in diversity and inclusion where it is an unlikely fit. Examples: outside their typical job duties, etc.
- Innovation Award – recognizes diversity and inclusion efforts that are particularly innovative or nontraditional in approach, audience served, or methods implemented.
- Collaboration Award – recognizes diversity and inclusion efforts that occur collaboratively either between two or more organizations, a cultural organization and another partner, or an artist and an organization.
$500, $750, $1,000
Funds may be used to reinvest in the Diversity and Inclusion initiative that was recognized or for capacity building opportunities that are relevant to the work recognized. Examples of potential uses of funds include:
- Consultant fees for expansion, evaluation, etc.
- Professional development expenses such as conference registration, travel, etc.
- Marketing costs to increase awareness of the program.
- Equipment costs for expansion of initiative
- Salary costs to increase staffing, scope, etc.
For more information, please contact: