Capital Postconviction Public Records
Forms and Instructions for Agencies
Agencies who wish to transfer Capital Postconviction Public Records to the State Archives must follow these instructions and complete a Transmittal/Receipt form before sending us these records.
- Transmittal/Receipt Form (PDF) or (Word)
- Instructions for Completing the Transmittal/Receipt (PDF)
- Instructions for Preparing Records for Shipment to the Archives (PDF)
Information for Attorneys
We are responsible for providing Capital Collateral Regional Counsel and private attorneys representing death row inmates with copies of the records in our custody.
About the Repository
In October of 1998, the State Archives of Florida was established as a records repository for Capital Postconviction Public Records.
This means that we receive, maintain and index the records sent to us by law enforcement officers and agencies once they are notified of the imposition of a death sentence.
Upon notification, agencies have 60 days to copy and deliver to us all public records relating to the case.
- Tracks receipt of records in each case from each agency.
- Maintains an automated index listing the contents of records in custody.
- Makes records available upon request.
Records sent to us under seal (exempt from public disclosure) can only be opened for inspection by the trial court on camera. We must receive an appropriate court order to ship these records to the court.
Capital Collateral Postconviction Records Repository
State Archives of Florida
R.A. Gray Building, MS 9-E
500 South Bronough Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0250
Phone: 850.245. 6750, Option 6
Statutes and Rules
- In 1998 the Florida legislature passed Committee Substitute for Senate Bill 1330, which was adopted into law as 98-198. See also Rules 3.852 and 3.993 of the Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure (PDF).
- Under the Death Penalty Reform Act of 2000 (Ch. 2000-3, Laws of Florida), we provide attorneys representing death row inmates scanned copies or copies on CD of records pertaining to a particular case, upon written request.