This guide from the State Library of Florida highlights our resources on management, leadership and mentoring skills. Our collection includes books, journal articles and more.
State employees with a State Library card can access e-books, online journals and other resources for free.
We can also deliver books and articles directly to your office.
Links within the bibliographies take you to information in our catalog or to more information on external sites.
- Firmin, Lisa. “Deploying Leadership: Steady Skills to Serve in Any Environment.” Phi Kappa Phi Forum 96.1 (2016): 18–21.
- Fitch, Charles S. “Avoid These 9 Executive Mistakes: Buc Fitch on How to Treat Your Staff Right.” Radio World 2013: 20, 22.
- Jaquez, Frank. “The Global Leadership Trifecta: Three Fundamental Skills Global Leaders Should Have.” TD Magazine 2016: 44–48.
- Jones, Angela M., and Sheri L. York. “The Fragile Balance of Power and Leadership.” The Journal of Values-Based Leadership 9.2 (2016): 127–142.
- Jumabhoy, Anwar. “Dynamic Stability: Critical for Mid-Level Managers.” Canadian Manager 41.1 (2016): 7–10.
- Meinhard, Charlyne. “When Bad Managers Ruin Good Employees, Good Management Creates Good Employees.” Supervision 73.10 (2012): 8–9.
- Outlaw, Denise. “Motivate Workers With Training Opportunities.” Nonprofit World 33.3 (2015): 14–15.
- Sinar, Evan. “The New Leader Profile: An Analysis of More Than 15,000 Leader Assessments Illuminates and Debunks Assumptions About Leaders.” Training May/Jun. 2016: 46–50.
- Tromm, Olivia, and Colleen Kirton. “Mentorship Through the Eyes of a Millennial.” Financial Planning 46.11 (2016): A10.
- Walker, Donna. “I Can’t Hear You...But I’m Still Listening.” Library Journal 1 Oct. 2016: 20.
- Bodaken, Bruce, and Robert Fritz. The Managerial Moment of Truth: The Essential Step in Helping People Improve Performance. New York, NY: Free Press, 2006.
- Buckingham, Marcus, and Curt Coffman. First, Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster, 1999.
- Giesecke, Joan, and Beth McNeil. Fundamentals of Library Supervision. 2nd ed. Chicago, IL: American Library Association, 2010.
- Hill, Linda A., and Kent Lineback. Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Review Press, 2011.
- Lavigna, Bob. Engaging Government Employees: Motivate and Inspire Your People to Achieve Superior Performance. New York, NY: American Management Association, 2013.
- Pollak, Lindsey. Becoming the Boss: New Rules for the Next Generation of Leaders. New York, NY: Harper Business, 2014.
- Rinke, Wolf J. Don’t Oil the Squeaky Wheel: And 19 Other Contrarian Ways to Improve Your Leadership Effectiveness. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- Saratovsky, Kari Dunn, and Derrick Feldman. Cause for Change: The Why and How of Nonprofit Millennial Engagement. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2013.
- Smith, Shawn A., and Rebecca A. Mazin. The HR Answer Book: An Indispensable Guide for Managers and Human Resources Professionals. 2nd ed. New York, NY: American Management Association, 2011.
- Tulgan, Bruce. It’s Okay to Be the Boss: The Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming the Manager Your Employees Need. New York, NY: Collins, 2007.
- Arbinger Institute. Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box (E-Book). San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler, 2000.
- Bradt, George B., and Gillian Davis. First-Time Leader: Foundational Tools for Inspiring and Enabling Your New Team (E-Book). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2014.
- Caraher, Lee. Millennials & Management: The Essential Guide to Making It Work at Work (E-Book). Brookline, MA: Bibliomotion, 2014.
- Hutson, Harry, and Martha N. Johnson. Navigating an Organizational Crisis: When Leadership Matters Most (E-Book). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2016.
- Jerome, Bill, and Curtis Powell. The Disposable Visionary: A Survival Guide for Change Agents (E-Book). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2016.
- Lavigna, Bob. Engaging Government Employees: Motivate and Inspire Your People to Achieve Superior Performance (E-Book). New York, NY: American Management Association, 2013.
- Pottruck, David S. Stacking the Deck: How to Lead Breakthrough Change Against Any Odds (E-Book). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2015.
- Soupios, Michael A., and Panos Mourdoukoutas. The Ten Golden Rules of Leadership: Classical Wisdom for Modern Leaders (E-Book). New York, NY: American Management Association, 2015.
- Tracy, Brian. Management (E-Book). New York, NY: American Management Association, 2014.
- Vanderbroeck, Paul. Female Leadership Strategies: Lessons From Four Queens for Leadership and Career Development (E-Book). Berlin, Germany: Springer, 2014.