This guide from the State Library of Florida explores preservation practices and techniques for archival materials, newspapers and other items.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list. For additional sources, search the library catalog.
All titles are available for interlibrary loan. For assistance requesting an item, please contact your library's ILL librarian.
Employees at any Florida public library, K-12 or public academic library are eligible for a Library Employee E-Card.
- Baker, Nicholson. Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on Paper. New York, NY: Random House, 2001.
- Berger, Sidney E. Rare Books and Special Collections. Chicago, IL: Neal-Schuman, 2014.
- Carignan, Yvonne, et al., eds. Who Wants Yesterday’s Papers? Essays on the Research Value of Printed Materials in the Digital Age. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2005.
- Cloonan, Michèle Valerie. Preserving Our Heritage: Perspectives From Antiquity to the Digital Age. Chicago, IL: Neal-Schuman, 2015.
- Delve, Janet, and David Anderson, editors. Preserving Complex Digital Objects. London, UK: Facet, 2014.
- Duranti, Luciana, and Patricia C. Franks, editors. Encyclopedia of Archival Science. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Ellis, Judith, editor. Keeping Archives. 2nd ed. Port Melbourne, Australia: Australian Society of Archivists, 1993.
- Gorman, G. E. Preservation Management for Libraries, Archives and Museums. Edited by Sydney J. Shep. London, UK: Facet, 2006.
- Hamill, Lois. Archival Arrangement and Description: Analog to Digital. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2017.
- Hansen, Kathleen A. Future-Proofing the News: Preserving the First Draft of History. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2017.
- Harvey, D. R. Digital Curation: A How-to-Do-It Manual. Chicago, IL: Neal-Schuman, 2010.
- Harvey, Ross, and Martha R. Mahard. The Preservation Management Handbook: A 21st-Century Guide for Libraries, Archives, and Museums. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
- Hider, Philip. Information Resource Description: Creating and Managing Metadata. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions, 2013.
- Note, Margot. Managing Image Collections: A Practical Guide. Oxford, UK: Chandos Publishing, 2011.
- Ogden, Sherelyn, ed. Preservation of Library & Archival Materials: A Manual. 3rd ed. Andover, MA: Northeast Document Conservation Center, 1999.
- Ruthven, Ian, and G. G. Chowdhury, eds. Cultural Heritage Information: Access and Management. Neal-Schuman, 2015.
- Slate, John H., and Kaye Lanning Minchew. Managing Local Government Archives. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Smallwood, Carol, and Elaine Williams. Preserving Local Writers, Genealogy, Photographs, Newspapers, and Related Materials. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2012.
- Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts. “Resources.” Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts.
- Leggett, Elizabeth R. Digitization and Digital Archiving: A Practical Guide for Librarians (E-Book). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
- Library of Congress. “Preservation.” Library of Congress.
- National Film Preservation Foundation. “The Film Preservation Guide: The Basics for Archives, Libraries, and Museums.” National Film Preservation Foundation.
- Smallwood, Carol, and Elaine Williams. Preserving Local Writers, Genealogy, Photographs, Newspapers, and Related Materials (E-Book). Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2012.
- State Archives, Minnesota Historical Society. Managing Your Government Records: Guidelines for Minnesota Archives and Agencies (PDF). St. Paul, MN: 2009
- U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. “Preservation.” National Archives.