Fictitious Name Registration Instructions
Filing Online or by Mail
- These instructions are for filing a Fictitious Name Registration pursuant to the Fictitious Name Act (s.865.09, F.S.).
- The sole purpose of registering a fictitious name is to inform the public which individual or business entity is transacting business under a particular name.
- This registration does not reserve the name or prevent another party from registering the same name.
- Enter the exact name you wish to register.
- Do not enter more than one fictitious name on the application.
- Enter the business’s mailing address.
- This address:
- Doesn’t need to be the same as the principal place of business address.
- Doesn’t need to be in Florida.
- Can be directed to anyone’s attention.
- Update the mailing address free of charge if it changes in the future.
Florida County of Principal Place of Business
- Use the dropdown menu to select the Florida county where business’s principal place of business is located.
- Select “Multiple” if more than one county applies.
Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- Optional: Enter the 9-digit number the Internal Revenue Service assigned to the business for federal income tax identification purposes.
- Do not enter a Social Security Number.
- Contact the IRS at 1.800.829.4933 for additional information.
Certificate of Status
- You may request a certificate of status.
- This item is not required.
- A certificate of status certifies the status and existence of the fictitious name registration and verifies the entity has paid all fees due this office through a certain date.
- Fee: $10.00 each
- You may request a certified copy of your Fictitious Name Registration.
- This item is not required.
- A certified copy will include a filed stamped copy of your Fictitious Name Registration and will verify that the copy is a true and correct copy of the document in our records.
- Fee: $30.00 each
- Please provide a valid email address.
- If filing online: The filing acknowledgement and certification (if any) will be emailed to this address.
- All future email communications will be sent to this address, as well.
- Keep your email address up-to-date.
- List each owner and verify their information.
- An owner can be an individual or a business entity.
- You can only list up to 5 owners.
- Call 850.245.6058 for special instructions if you have more than 5 owners.
If an owner is an individual:
- List each name as Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial.
- Enter the mailing address for each individual listed.
If an owner is a business entity (e.g., corporation, limited partnership, limited liability company):
- Business entities must be registered and active with the Division of Corporations, or provide documentation stating why they are not required to register. Example: Federally Chartered Corporations or Legislatively created entities.
- Enter the mailing address for each entity listed.
- Enter the document number assigned by the Division of Corporations for each entity listed.
- Enter the FEIN for each business entity, or select “Applied For” or “Not Applicable.”
- One owner must sign the document.
- If the owner is a business entity, an authorized individual can sign on behalf of the business.
- If filing online: type the individual’s name and title in the textbox provide.
- Example: John Doe, President
- Electronic signatures have the same legal effect as original signatures pursuant to s.15.16, F.S.