For Immediate Release
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Contact: Brittany Lesser,
Tenth Annual Blessing of Animals at Mission San Luis
TALLAHASSEE- On Saturday, October 4, 2014, Mission San Luis invites the public, pet owners and animal lovers to the popular Blessing of Animals to be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This event is free and will feature:
- Individual pet blessings. Free certificates of each blessing will be available. A photographer will be on hand to shoot individual portraits that will be made available on Facebook.
- Animal mask-making craft activity for children.
- Parade and blessing of the Mission San Luis woodland animals.
- Representatives from various animal organizations exhibiting information about their services.
- Dog agility demonstration by Red Hills Bark Busters.
- Hands-on archery and living history.
- Vendors with food available for purchase.
“The Blessing of Animals originated in the 13th century in remembrance of St. Francis of Assisi, who believed that all animals should be treated with dignity and respect,” said Secretary of State Ken Detzner. “Similar ceremonies are held across the country each year on or near October 4, the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, commemorating the life of the Saint.”
Guests are encouraged to bring pet food donations for area animal shelters. Animals must be on leashes or in carriers. For more information, please call 850.245.6406 or visit missionsanluis.org.
# # #
About Mission San Luis
Florida’s Apalachee-Spanish Living History Museum was the western capital of Spanish Florida from 1656 to 1704. Today, the Mission brings the early 1700s to life with living history interpreters in period dress, reconstructed period buildings, exhibits, and archaeological research. The site is managed by the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources, Bureau of Archaeological Research, and support is provided by the Friends of Mission San Luis, Inc. Mission San Luis is Tallahassee’s only National Historic Landmark. Mission San Luis is located at 2100 West Tennessee Street in Tallahassee, Florida, and is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mission San Luis is pet-friendly to animals on leashes all year round.