For Immediate Release
Thursday, November 18, 2021
Contact: Mark Ard
Notice to Florida Business Owners: Governor Ron DeSantis Signs Legislation to Protect Florida Jobs
Floridians have been empowered to make their own healthcare decisions
Tallahassee, Fla. –
On November 18, 2021, Governor Ron DeSantis signed legislation to protect Floridians from losing their jobs due to COVID-19 vaccine mandates. The bill was passed through a Special Session of the Florida Legislature and was effective upon the Governor’s signature. Read about the legislation here.
Business Owners in Florida should be aware of these changes and if needed, adjust their policies. In Florida, effective immediately:
✓ Private Employer COVID-19 vaccine mandates are prohibited.
‣ Employees can choose from numerous exemptions, including but not limited to, health or religious concerns; pregnancy or anticipated future pregnancy; and past recovery from COVID-19.
‣ Employees can choose to opt for periodic testing or PPE as an exemption.
‣ Employers must cover the costs of testing and PPE exemptions for employees.
✓ Employers who violate these employee health protections will be fined.
‣ Small businesses (99 employees or less) will face $10,000 per employee violation.
‣ Medium and big businesses will face $50,000 per employee violation.
✓ Government entities may not require COVID-19 vaccinations of anyone, including employees.
Florida Secretary of State Laurel M. Lee said, “Employees in Florida can be ensured that the choices they make regarding COVID-19 vaccines for their families and for themselves are being protected. I applaud Governor DeSantis for leading the state and nation in passing laws that continue to ensure that Florida remains a great place to do business.”