These bibliographies were compiled to help librarians and their patrons locate the most usable histories of each of Florida's 67 counties.
Materials are generally available through interlibrary loan from the circulating collection of the State Library.
Those only found in the non-circulating Florida Collection are marked with an asterisk (*). These must be used in the Dorothy Dodd Room of the State Library of Florida.
Links within the bibliographies take you to information in our State Library catalog.
- Blackman, Ethan V. Miami and Dade County, Florida: Its Settlement, Progress, and Achievement. Chuluota, FL: Mickler House, 1977.
- Bramson, Seth. Historic Photos of Greater Miami. Nashville, TN: Turner Pub. Co., c2007.
- Bramson, Seth. Miami Beach. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, c2005.
- George, Paul S. Little Havana. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, c2006.
- Kennedy, Patricia. Miami Beach. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, c2006.
- Kennedy, Patricia. Miami Beach in Vintage Postcards. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, c2000.
- *Kleinberg, Howard. Woggles and Cheese Holes: The History of Miami Beach's Hotels. Miami Beach, FL: The Greater Miami & The Beaches Hotel Association, c2005.
- *Matkov, Becky. Miami's Historic Neighborhoods: A History of Community. San Antonio, Texas: Historical Publishing Network, c2001.
- Mohl, Raymond A. South of the South: Jewish Activists and the Civil Rights Movement in Miami, 1945-1960. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, c2004.
- Muir, Helen. Miami, U.S.A. Miami, FL: Pickering Press, 1990.
- Murrell, Muriel V. Miami, a Backward Glance. Sarasota, FL: Pineapple Press, c2003.
- Parks, Arva Moore. Miami, the Magic City. [Miami, FL: Centennial Press, c1991].
- Peters, Thelma. Biscayne Country, 1870-1926. Miami: Banyan Books, 1981.
- Shell-Weiss, Melanie. Coming to Miami: A Social History. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, c2009.
- *Tequesta. Historical Association of Southern Florida. 3280 S. Miami Ave., Miami, FL 33129 (annual).
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Dade County Courthouse Record" - 6 pages. "The Ceremony of Laying Cornerstone of the First Courthouse in Dade County" - 1 page. "Establishment of Dade County Government" - 7 pages.
- Weiss, Susan R. Miami Bibliography. Miami, FL: Historical Association of Southern Florida, c1995.
- Frisbie, Louise. Peace River Pioneers. Miami, FL: E. A. Seeman, c1974.
- Lane, George. A Pictorial History of Arcadia and DeSoto County. St. Petersburg, FL: Byron Kennedy & Co., 1988.
- *Pine Level United Methodist Church. Centennial Service. [Pine Level, FL: The Church], 1968.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of DeSoto County" - 4 pages.
- *Cline, Evonne Valentine. The Changes I Have Seen: The Life and Memories of Ed Butler. [Horseshore Beach, FL: E. Butler, 1998].
- Cline, Evonne Valentine. Doubleheart: A Genealogy History of Dixie County, Florida. Horseshoe Beach, FL: Doubleheart Pub., c1998..
- Dixie County Historical Society (Fla.). Precious Memories of Dixie. Cross City, FL: The Society, 1998-.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Records and State Archives Survey" - 9 pages. "Creation of First Government, Erection of First Courthouse," - 5 pages.
- Bachmann, Andrew. Jacksonville Revisited. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub., c2007.
- Bean, Shawn C. The first Hollywood: Florida and the Golden Age of Silent Filmmaking. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, c2008.
- Buker, George E. Jacksonville: Riverport-Seaport. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, c1992.
- Crooks, James B. Jacksonville After the Fire, 1901-1919: A New South City. Jacksonville, FL: University of North Florida Press, c1991.
- Crooks, James B. Jacksonville: The Consolidation Story, From Civil Rights to the Jaguars. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, c2004.
- Davis, T. Frederick. History of Jacksonville, Florida and Vicinity 1513-1924. Jacksonville, FL: San Marco Bookstore, 1990, c1925.
- Fletcher, Dorothy K. Remembering Jacksonville: By the Wayside. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2010.
- *Gold, Pleasant Daniel. History of Duval County, Florida. St. Augustine, FL: The Record Company, 1928.
- Hyman, Ann. Jacksonville Greets the 20th Century: The Pictorial Legacy of Leah Mary Cox. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, c2002.
- *Krause, Edna Virginia. From Pines to Skyscrapers. New York: Pageant Press, [c1955].
- Martin, Richard A. Jacksonville's Ordeal by Fire: A Civil War History. Jacksonville, FL: Florida Pub. Co., 1984.
- *Jacksonville Historical Society (Fla.). Papers of the Jacksonville Historical Society. (annual). Jacksonville, FL: The Society, n.d.
- Pate, Jack. Florida's First Coast: A History of Images. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2008.
- Schafer, Daniel L. Thunder on the River: The Civil War in Northeast Florida. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, c2010.
- *Snodgrass, Dena E. Jacksonville... A Brief History. Jacksonville, FL: Florida Times-Union, 1968.
- Spencer, Donald D. Greetings From Jacksonville, Florida. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Pub. Ltd., c2008.
- Ward, James Robertson. Old Hickory’s Town: An Illustrated History of Jacksonville. Jacksonville, FL: Florida Publishing Co., c1982.
- Wood, Wayne W. Jacksonville’s Architectural Heritage: Landmarks for the Future. Jacksonville, FL: University of North Florida Press, c1989.
- *Appleyard, John (John H.). Hurricanes: Four Centuries of Pensacola's Battle With Mother Nature. Pensacola, FL: Bayshore Publishing Group, c2002.
- *Armstrong, Henry Clay. History of Escambia County Florida.St. Augustine, FL: Record Co. Printers, 1930.
- Bowden, Jesse Earle, Gordon Norman Simms and Sandra L. Johnson. Pensacola: Florida’s First Place City: A Pictorial History. Norfolk, VA: Donning Co., 1989.
- Clune, John J. (John James). Historic Pensacola. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, c2009.
- *Cole, John Williams. Pictorial History of Pensacola, City of Five Flags. Pensacola, FL: Fiesta of The Five Flags Association, .
- Ellsworth, Lucius F. and Linda Ellsworth. Pensacola: The Deep Water City. Tulsa, [OK]: Continental Heritage Press, c1982.
- Escambia County Heritage Book Committee (Escambia County, Ala.). The Heritage of Escambia County, Florida. Clanton, AL: Heritage Pub. Consultants, c2004-.
- *Faye, Stanley. The Spanish and British Fortification of Pensacola, 1698-1821. Pensacola, FL: Pensacola Historical Society, 1972.
- Fischer, Jerry and Neal Collier. A Pictorial History: Settlements Along the Escambia-Conecuh River. Century, FL: Alger-Sullivan Historical Society, c1993.
- *Johnson, Sandra. Ghosts, Legends and Folklore of Old Pensacola. Pensacola, FL: Pensacola Historical Society, 1994.
- *Murphy, Leo F. Flying Machines Over Pensacola: An Early Aviation History From 1909 to 1929. Gulf Breeze, FL: Pensacola Bay Flying Machines, 2003.
- Pearce, George F. Pensacola During the Civil War: A Thorn in the Side of the Confederacy. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, c2000.
- Pearce, George F. The U.S. Navy in Pensacola: From Sailing Ships to Naval Aviation, 1825-1930. Pensacola, FL: University Presses of Florida, 1980.
- *Pensacola Historical Society. The Echo: Pensacola Historical Society (quarterly). Pensacola, FL: The Society, [1980?-1983].
- Pensacola Historical Society. Postcard History Series: Pensacola in Vintage Postcards. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, c2004.
- *Pensacola News-Journal. Pensacola's Pictorial Past. Vancouver, WA: Pediment Pub., c2000.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Escambia County, Florida" - 7 pages.
- Wills, Ora. Images in Black: A Pictorial History of Black Pensacola. Pensacola, FL: University of West Florida Foundation, c2003-2004.
- *Clegg, John A. The history of Flagler County. n.p.: Hall Pub. Co., 1976.
- Dycke, Arthur E. Palm Coast. Arcadia, 2003.
- *Fryman, Mildred L. Washington Oaks State Gardens: historical research report. Tallahassee, Florida: Florida Department of Natural Resources, 1992.
- *Otterbein, Naomi. The history of Flagler County: Volumes I and II. [Bunnell]: Northeast Florida Educational Consortium, 1980.
- McCarthy, Kevin. Apalachicola Bay. Pineapple Press, 2004.
- *Owens, H.P. "Apalachicola before 1861." Florida State University, Ph.D. dissertation, 1966. *Rogers, William Warren. At the water's edge: a pictorial and narrative history of
Apalachicola and Franklin County. Virginia Beach: Donning Company Pub., 1997.
- Rogers, William Warren. Outposts on the Gulf: Saint George Island and Apalachicola from early exploration to World War II. Pensacola: University of West Florida Press, 1986.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Franklin County" - 7 pages.
- Avant, David A. Illustrated index: J. Randall Stanley’s history of Gadsden County, 1948. Tallahassee: L’Avant Studios, 1985.
- Cox, Dale. The early history of Gadsden County, Florida. William Cox, 2008.
- *Stanley, J. Randall. History of Gadsden County. Quincy, FL: Gadsden County Historical Commission, 1948.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Gadsden County" - 4 pages.
- Womack, Miles K. Gadsden: A Florida County in words and pictures. [Quincy]: Gadsden County Bicentennial Committee, 1976.
*McCarthy, Kevin. The history of Gilchrist County. Historical Committee of the Trenton Women’s Club, 1986.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. "Gilchrist County Court Houses" - 1 page. "History of Gilchrist County" - 10 pages.
- Dale, Nancy. Where the swallowtail kite soars: the legacies of Glades County, Florida and the vanishing wilderness. iUniverse, 2004.
- Glades County, Florida history. Glades County (Fla.). Board of Commissioners. Moore Haven: Rainbow Books, 1985.
- Fritz, Florence Irene. Unknown Florida. Coral Gables: University of Miami Press, 1963.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Glades County, Florida" - 2 pages.
- Mount-Doubs, Beverly. Gulf County. Arcadia Pub., 2007.
- Port St. Joe, Florida's Constitution City: a center of industry, fishing and recreation on the Gulf of Mexico.[n.p., n.p.], 1963.
- Porter, Louise M. The chronological history of the lives of St. Joseph. Chattanooga: Great American Pub. Co., 1975.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Gulf County" - 4 pages.