These bibliographies were compiled to help librarians and their patrons locate the most usable histories of each of Florida's 67 counties.
Materials are generally available through interlibrary loan from the circulating collection of the State Library.
Those only found in the non-circulating Florida Collection are marked with an asterisk (*). These must be used in the Dorothy Dodd Room of the State Library of Florida.
Links within the bibliographies take you to information in our State Library catalog.
Early history of Hamilton County, Florida: Bicentennial project…compiled by Cora Hinton. Jasper: [s.n.], 1983.
* U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Hamilton County" - 3 pages. "Hamilton County Court Houses" - 3 pages.
- *Plowden, Jean. History of Hardee County. Wauchula: Florida Advocate, 1929.
- Stone, Spessard. Hardee County: it's heritage and people. Southern Heritage Press, 2007.
- Dewing, Ailsa B. The news of Hendry County News, 1922-1931. Hendry County News, 1997.
- Fritz, Florence Irene. Unknown Florida. Coral Gables: University of Miami, 1963.
- Magill, Inez. From ticks to politics. n.p.: n.p., 197?
- Asukile, Imani D. Hernando County, Florida. Arcadia, 2005.
- *Grzelak, Jeff H. Hernando County, including Pasco and Citrus Counties, during the Civil War. Orlando: printed by the U.A.D.F. Publications, 1987.
- McKethan, Alfred A. Hernando County: our story. Brooksville, Florida: Alfred A. McKethan, 1989.
- Stanaback, Richard J. A history of Hernando County, 1840-1976. Brooksville: Action ’76 Steering Committee, 1976.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Hernando County" - 4 pages.
- *Whitehurst, Mary K. Brooksville and Hernando County, Florida. Brooksville: Brooksville Sun, 1936.
- The fifty years of Sebring, 1912-1962. Sebring, Florida: Sebring Semi-Centennial Committee, 1962.
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel. Twice told tales. Sebring Historical Society, 1986.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Highlands County, Florida" - 3 pages. "Historical Sketch of Highlands County" - 4 pages.
- Brown, Canter. Children on the Tampa Bay frontier. Tampa: Tampa Bay History Center, 1996.
- Brown, Canter. Family records of the African American pioneers of Tampa and Hillsborough County. University of Tampa Press, 2003.
- Brown, Canter. Teachers and schools of the Tampa Bay frontier. The Tampa Bay History Center, 1997.
- *Brown, Canter. Women on the Tampa Bay frontier. Tampa: Tampa Bay History Center, 1997.
- Gibson, Charles. Pioneering in Hillsborough County. Orlando: Daniels Pub., 1972.
- Grismer, Karl H. Tampa, A history of the city of Tampa and the Tampa Bay region of Florida. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg Printing Co., 1950.
- History of Hillsborough County. Tampa, Florida: Federal Writers’ Projects, 1936.
- Jahoda, Gloria. River of the golden Ibis. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2000.
- Kaiser, Robert J. Tampa: the early years. Charleston: Arcadia, 1999.
- Mormino, Gary Ross. Hillsborough County goes to war : the home front, 1940-1950. Tampa Bay History Center, 2001.
- *Mulder, Kenneth W. Tampa Bay, days of long ago. Tampa Bay: P&M Pub. Co., 1990.
- *Robinson, Ernest Lauren. History of Hillsborough County, Florida. St. Augustine: The Record Co., 1928.
- Sunland Tribune. Journal of the Tampa Historical Society. 245 S. Hyde Park Ave., Tampa, FL 33606 (annual)
- Tampa Bay History Center. Hillsborough's communities. Tampa Bay History Center, 2003.
- Tampa Bay history. Dept. of History, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620 (semi-annual)
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Hillsborough County" - 6 pages.
- *Carswell, Elba Wilson. Holmes Valley: A West Florida cradle of Christianity. Bonifay Central Press, 1969.
- Carswell, Elba Wilson. This is the place. Chipley: E.W. Carswell, 1993.
- Carswell, Elba Wilson. Holmesteading: A history of Holmes County, Florida. Chipley: E.W. Carswell, 1986.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Holmes County Florida, ‘Homes for Holmes’" - 1 page.
- Cleveland, Weona. Crossroads Town remembered: A look back at Brevard and Indian River pioneer communities. Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today, 1994.
- Indian River Genealogical Society (Indian River County, Fla.). Indian River County. Arcadia Pub., 2007.
- Jackson, Annie Kate. Treasure Coast black heritage: a pictorial history. Virginia Beach: Donning Company Pub., 1996.
- LeTourneau, Lucie R. Memories of Eden: a young girl's letters about life in South Florida's frontier from 1880 to 1888. Jacksonville: Brut Publishing, 1996.
- Lockwood, Charlotte Daniels. Florida’s historic Indian River County. Vero Beach: Media Tronics, 1975.
- Manning, John T. North Brevard County. Charleston: Arcadia, 1999.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historic Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Indian River County, Florida" - 4 pages.
- *Vero Beach, Fla., Chamber of Commerce. Vero Beach and Indian River County. Vero Beach: Florida Opportunity Pub., 1958.
- Gilmore Academy-Jackson County Training School Alumni Association, Inc. *Jackson County Florida. Arcadia, 2000.
- Nobles, Glen. The early settlers of Jackson County. Grand Ridge, Fla.: Nobles Pub. Co., 1996.
- Nobles, Glen. Pioneers of Jackson County: the landholders 1826-1893, the voting records of 1845, 1850 U.S. census of Jackson County, Glen's stories and reminiscences, and some pioneer families of Jackson County. Nobles Pub. Co., 2000.
- Shofner, Jerrell H. Jackson County, Florida: A history. Marianna: Jackson County Heritage Association, 1985.
- Stanley, J. Randall. History of Jackson County. [Marianna]: Jackson County Historical Society, 1950.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Jackson County". -5 pages.
- McRory, Mary Oakley. History of Jefferson County, Florida. Monticello: Monticello Woman’s Club, 1958.
- Shofner, Jerrell H. History of Jefferson County. Tallahassee: Sentry Press, 1976.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Jefferson County" - 9 pages.