These bibliographies were compiled to help librarians and their patrons locate the most usable histories of each of Florida's 67 counties.
Materials are generally available through interlibrary loan from the circulating collection of the State Library.
Those only found in the non-circulating Florida Collection are marked with an asterisk (*). These must be used in the Dorothy Dodd Room of the State Library of Florida.
Links within the bibliographies take you to information in our State Library catalog.
- Moses, Grace Emerick. Footprints along the Suwannee. Branford: Moses, 1981.
- Melton, Holmes. Lafayette County history and heritage: An anthology. n.p.: n.p., 1974?
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Lafayette County" - 4 pages.
- Edgerton, David. Memories of Mount Dora and Lake County, 1845-1981. Mt. Dora: D. Edgerton, 1982?
- Friends of the Fruitland Park Library. The City of Fruitland Park, Florida: the beginning of a new era. Friends of the Fruitland Park Library, 2001.
- Kennedy, William T. History of Lake County, Florida: narrative and biographical. Tavares, FL: Lake County Historical Society, 1988.
- *Kennedy, William Thomas. History of Lake County. St. Augustine: The Record Co., 1929.
- *Lake County Retired Teachers Association. Through schoolhouse doors: A history of Lake County Schools. n.p.: The Association, 1983.
- Peter, Emmett. Lake County, Florida--a pictorial history. Virginia Beach, VA: Donning Co., 1994.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Lake County" - 7 pages.
- Barnes, Alberta Colcord and Nell Colcord Weidenbach. Early Fort Myers: tales of 2 sisters. Punta Gorda, Florida: Chris the Printer, 1993.
- Board, Prudy Taylor and Esther B. Colcord. Pages from the past: A pictorial retrospective of Lee County, Florida. Virginia Beach, Virginia: Donning Company, 1990.
- Board, Prudy Taylor. Remembering Lee County, Florida: where winter spends the summer. History Press, 2006.
- Fritz, Florence Irene. Unknown Florida. Coral Gables: University of Miami Press, 1963.
- Hendry, Ella K. Front porch stories: tales of the Hendry family--pioneers in Florida's Peace River Basin. Port Charlotte, FL: Jonathan Wilson Sandige Pub., 2000.
- It was a beautiful country: A southwest Florida anthology. Ft. Myers Beach: Island Press, 1974.
- Stevens, Mary Kaye. Lee County islands. Arcadia Pub., 2009.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Essay Material from Commissioners’ Minutes" - 9 pages. "Court Houses - Lee County" - 3 pages.
- *Apalachee (formerly Tallahassee Historical Society Annual). v. 1 - (1934-)
- Barnes, Althemese. Tallahassee, Florida. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2000.
- Ellis, Mary Louise. Favored land, Tallahassee: A history of Tallahassee and Leon County. Donning, 1988.
- Ellis, Mary Louise. Tallahassee and Leon County: history and bibliography. Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board, Florida Dept. of State, 1986.
- Ensley, Gerald. Tallahassee Democrat: 100 years. Tallahassee Democrat, 2005.
- May, Mary Cathrin. From Freedmen to free men: Black political leaders in Tallahassee and Leon County, Florida, 1865-1890 an 1950-1971. Durra Quick Print, 2009.
- Paisley, Clifton. From cotton to quail: An agriculture chronicle of Leon County, Florida 1860-1967. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1981.
- Rogers, William Warren. Foshalee: quail country plantation. Sentry Press, 1989.
- Rogers, William Warren. A historical sampler of Tallahassee and Leon County. The Florida Historical Society Press, 2005.
- Cohens, Carolyn. Levy County, Florida. Arcadia, 2005.
Collins, Toni C. Atlantic Coast Line Railroad: Dunnellon to Wilcox, FL. Chiefland, FL: Suwannee River Publishing, 2015.
Collins, Toni C. Civil War Blockade Running on Florida's Gulf Coast. Chiefland, FL: Suwannee River Publishing LLC, 2016.
Collins, Toni C. Cedar Keys Light Station. Chiefland, FL: Suwannee River Pub., 2011.
Collins, Toni C. The Lady of the Lighthouse: a Biography. Chiefland, FL: Suwannee River Publishing Company, 2012.
Fishburne, Charles C. History of the Cedar Keys. Cedar Key: Sea Hawk, 1982. (6 vol.)
- *Monk, J. Floyd. A steamboating perspective on the history of the Cedar Keys. Miami, 1989.
- Search for yesterday: A history of Levy County, Florida. Bronson: Levy County Archives Committee, 1977-
- Stephens, Arnold Dix. Images of Levy County: industry. The Author, 2004.
- Stephens, Arnold Dix. Withlacoochee notes: a history of Southern Levy County, Florida. A.D. Stephens, 2005.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Incorporated Towns of Levy County" - 2 pages. "Levy County" - 5 pages.
- Verrill, Ruth. Romantic and historic Levy County. Gainesville: Storter Print Co., n.d.
*Green, Lovick J., Pastor. The Liberty Methodist Circuit: Hosford, Florida. [Hosford: Liberty Methodist Circuit, 1968]
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Liberty County" - 4 pages.
- Cave, Monteen Moore. Photographic treasures of Madison County. Treasures of Madison County, Inc., 2004-2009.
- Sims, Elizabeth H. A history of Madison County, Florida. Madison: Madison County Historical Society, 1986.
- *Smith, Carlton. Madison County, Florida, 1933-36. Madison, 1937?
- *Spear, Elmer C. Madison County, Florida, family history book. Elmer's Genealogy Library, 2002.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Madison County" - 7 pages.
- *McDuffee, Lillie. The lures of Manatee: A true story of Florida’s glamorous past. Nashville: Marshall & Bruce, 1933.
- Matthews, Janet Snyder. Edge of wilderness: A settlement history of Manatee River and Sarasota Bay, 1528-1885. Tulsa: Caprine Press, 1983.
- *Palmetto 1897-1997: a distinguished past--a promising future. Palmetto, FL: City of Palmetto, 1997.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Manatee County" - 5 pages.
- Wiggins, Jim. Manatee County. Arcadia Pub., 2007.
- Central Florida Community College. The struggle for survival: A partial history of negroes of Marion County, 1865-1976. Ocala: Black Historical Organization of Marion County, 1977.
- *Farmer, Caroline Wellhoner. Across the river: a history of education east of the Ocklawaha River, Marion County, Florida 1849-1949. The Authors, 2008.
- *Long, Margaret Mitchell. The long trek to the big scrub. Ocala, FL: M.M.Long, 1986.
- Ott, Eloise Robinson. Ocali Country: Kingdom of the sun: A history of Marion County, Florida. Oklawaha: Marion Pub., 1966.
- Riley, Ruth J. Memories of Rainbow Springs: the history of Rainbow Springs from the time small farms were settled near the headwaters of the springs to the creation of today's Rainbow Springs State Park. Fruit Tree Press, 2000.
- Spencer, Donald D. The Ocklawaha River on old picture postcards. Camelot Pub. Co., 2002.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Marion County" - 5 pages.
- Wessner, Darlene. We might could-- and we did: a history of Marion County. s.n., 1998?
- *Hutchinson, Janet. History of Martin County. Hutchinson Island: Martin County Historical Society, 1975.
- Reed, Joseph V. The history of Jupiter Island. s.n., 1955?.
- Scott, George W.B. (William Brock). Growing up in Eden. Fountain City Pub. Co., 2004.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Martin County Florida" - 3 pages.
- Browne, Jefferson B. Key West: The old and the new. Facsimile reproduction ed. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1973.
- Burke, J. Wills, 1946-. The streets of Key West: a history through street names. Pineapple Press, 2004.
- Homan, Lynn M. Key West. Arcadia Pub., 2000.
- Homan, Lynn M. Key West and the Florida Keys. Arcadia Pub., 2006.
- King, Gregory. The conch that roared: the bizarre, true story of Key West's secession from the Union in 1892... Lexington, KY: Weston & Wright, 1997.
- Ogle, Maureen. Key West: history of an island of dreams. University of Press of Florida, 2003.
- Sawyer, Norma Jean. Key West. Arcadia, 2002.
- Simpson, Lois. History of Big Pine Key, Florida, 1873-1982. n.p.: Mayfield Printing, 1982.
- Simpson, Lois. The Island of Key Largo, Florida, 1872-1983. n.p. 1983.
- Stebbins, Consuelo E. City of intrigue, nest of revolution: a documentary history of Key West in the nineteenth century. University of Press of Florida, 2007.
- *Tequesta: historical association of southern Florida. (Annual) v. 1 - (1941 - )
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Monroe County" - 4 pages.
- Williams, Joy. The Florida Keys! From Key Largo to Key West: A history and guide. New York: Random House, 1987.