These bibliographies were compiled to help librarians and their patrons locate the most usable histories of each of Florida's 67 counties.
Materials are generally available through interlibrary loan from the circulating collection of the State Library.
Those only found in the non-circulating Florida Collection are marked with an asterisk (*). These must be used in the Dorothy Dodd Room of the State Library of Florida.
Links within the bibliographies take you to information in our State Library catalog.
Johannes, Jan H. Yesterdays’ reflections: Nassau County, Florida: A pictorial history. Callahan: T.O. Richardson, 1984.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Brief History of Nassau County" - 2 pages.
- Heritage Museum of Northwest Florida (Valparaiso, Fla.). Boggy Bayou: around Niceville and Valparaiso. Arcadia, 2005.
- *Hutchinson, Leonard Patrick. History of the playground area of northwest Florida.
St. Petersburg: Great Outdoors Pub., 1961.
- Kenaston, Nancy M. From cabin to campus…a history of the Okaloosa County school system. [Crestview]: Okaloosa County School Board, 1977.
- *Okaloosa County Heritage Book Committee. The heritage of Okaloosa County, Florida. Heritage Pub. Consultants, 2008.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Okeechobee County, Florida" - 2 pages.
- *Van Landingham, Kyle S. History of Okeechobee County. Fort Pierce, Florida: VanLandingham, 1978.
- Blackman, William Fremont. History of Orange County, Florida: narrative and biographical. Chuluota: Mickler House, 1973.
- Brotemarkle, Benjamin D. Crossing division street: an oral history of the African-American community in Orlando. Florida History Society Press, .
- Dickinson, Joy Wallace. Remembering Orlando: tales from Elvis to Disney. History Press, 2006.
- Dickinson, Joy Wallace. Historic photos of Orlando. Turner Pub. Co., 2007.
- Dickinson, Joy Wallace. Orlando: city of dreams. Arcadia Pub., 2003.
- Edwards, Wynette. Orlando and Orange County. Arcadia, 2001.
- Kendrick, Bayard H. Orlando, a century plus. Orlando: Sentinel Star, 1976.
- Rajtar, Steve. A guide to historic Orlando. History Press, 2006.
- Robison, Jim. Flashbacks: the story of central Florida's past. Orange County Historical Society and the Orlando Sentinel, 1995.
- Spencer, Donald D. Greetings from Orlando: a historic tour in picture postcards, 1900-1930. Camelog Pub. Co., 2001.
- Thompson, Geraldine Fortenberry. Orlando, Florida. Arcadia, 2003.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Orange County - Mosquito and Benton" - 16 pages.
- Beauchamp, Catherine W. Look what’s happened in Osceola County: 140 Years, from early pioneers to today’s "worlds." Kissimmee: Culture Center, 1983?
- Cody, Aldus Morrill. Osceola County, the first 100 years. Osceola County Historical Society, 1987.
- Crow, Myrtle Hilliar. Old tales and trails of Florida. St. Petersburg: Byron Kennedy, 1987.
- *Hetherington, Alma. The river of the longwater. Chuluota: Mickler House, 1980.
- McGoun, William E. Southeast Florida pioneers: the palm and treasure coasts. Sarasota, FL: Pineapple Press, 1998.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Origin and Development of Osceola County" - 7 pages.
- Willson, Minnie (Moore). History of Osceola County: Florida frontier Life. Orlando: Island Press, 1935.
Palm Beach County
- Bramson, Seth. Historic photos of Palm Beach County. Turner Pub. Co., 2007.
- Curl, Donald Walter. Palm Beach County, an illustrated history. Produced in cooperation with The Historical Society of Palm Beach County. Northridge, Calif.: Windsor Pub., 1986.
- Davidsson, Robert. Origins & History of the Palm Beaches.
- DeVries, Janet. Around Boynton Beach. Arcadia Pub., 2006.
- Drake, Lynn Lasseter. Jupiter. Arcadia, 2003.
- Forshay, David A. Lure of the sun: A story of Palm Beach County. First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Lake Worth, 1967.
- Gooding, Dorothy. Tucked between the pages of time: A history of Lake Park and Environs. Dorothy Borden Gooding, 1990.
- Kleinberg, Eliot. Palm Beach past: the best of "Post time." History Press, 2006.
- *Palm Beach Life. (Monthly) v. 51 - (1958- )
- Pierce, Charles William. Pioneer life in Southeast Florida. Coral Gables: University of Miami Press, 1970.
- Simon, Sandy. Remembering: a history of Florida's South Palm Beach County, 1894-1998. The Cedars Group, 1999.
- Snyder, James D. A light in wilderness: the story of Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse & the southeast Florida frontier. Pharos Books, 2006.
- *Tequesta: Historical Association of Southern Florida. (Annual) v. 1 - (1941- )
- Thuma, Cynthia. Boca Raton. Arcadia, 2003.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Palm Beach County" - 4 pages.
- *Ash, Pauline Stevenson. Florida cracker days in West Pasco County 1830-1982. New Port Richey: P.S. Ash, 1985.
- Carozza, Adam J. New Port Richey. Arcadia, 2004.
- Dunson, Eleanor. East Pasco’s heritage. Dade City: First Baptist Church of Dade City, 1976.
- Hendley, Jefferson A. History of Pasco County, Florida. Dade City: n.p., 1943?
- *Horgan, James J. The Dunne family of San Antonio, Florida: the papers of Jesse Dunne, 1880's-1940's. Pasco County Historical Society, 1996.
- Horgan, James J. The historic places of Pasco County. Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee, 1992.
- MacManus, Elizabeth R. Citrus, sawmills, critters & crackers: life in early Lutz and central Pasco County. University of Tampa Press, 1998.
- West Pasco Historical Society. West Pasco’s heritage. New Port Richey, Florida: Lisa Printing, 1974.
- Arsenault, Raymond. St. Petersburg and the Florida dream: 1888-1950. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1996.
- *Baker, Rick. Mangroves to major league: a timeline of St. Petersburg, Florida. St. Petersburg: Southern Heritage Press, 2000.
- Deese, Alma W. St. Petersburg: now and then. Charleston: Arcadia, 1999.
- Deese, A. Wynelle (Alma Wynelle). St. Petersburg, Florida: a visual history. History Press, 2006.
- De Quesada, A.M. Pinellas County. Charleston: Arcadia, 1980.
- Grismer, Karl H. History of St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg: Tourist News Publishing, 1924.
- *Gulf Coast Historical Review. (semi-annual) v.1 - (1985- )
- *Gulfshore Life. (monthly) v.16 - (1986- )
- Olds, Arthur F. It’s no bull! : The true story of the taming of northeast Pinellas County. Boot Ranch Publishing Co., 1992.
- Saint Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce. St. Petersburg & Pinellas County: the Gulf Coast jewel on Tampa Bay. St. Petersburg Area of Chamber of Commerce, 2000.
- Straub, William L. History of Pinellas County, Florida. St. Augustine: The Record Co., 1929.
- Young, June Hurley. Florida’s Pinellas Peninsula… St. Petersburg: Byron Kennedy, 1984.
- Bennett, Judy Bunting. Lake Wales newspapers' clippings before 1910-1933. Judy Bunting & Bennett Evans, 2006.
- Brown, Canter. In the midst of all that makes life worth living: Polk County, Florida, to 1940. Polk County Historical Association, 2001.
- Covington, Dennis. Redneck Riviera: armadillos, outlaws, and the demise of an American dream. Counterpoint, 2004.
- *Hetherington, M.F. History of Polk County, Florida: narrative and biographical. St. Augustine: The Record Co., 1928.
- Frisbie, Louise Kelley, 1913-1989. Yesterday's Polk County. E.A. Seemann Pub., 1976.
- McNeely, Ed. Century in the sun: A history of Polk County. Orlando: Polk County Centennial Committee, 1961.
* U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Origin and Development of Polk County" - 8 pages. "Polk County Boundaries" - 7 pages. "Polk County Court House" - 1 page.
- Alvers, Nancy Cooley. Our place in time: a chronology. Palatka, FL: Palatka Printing Co., 1995.
- Alvers, Nancy Cooley. San Mateo, God’s country: A collection of stories, pictures and maps. Palatka, FL: Palatka Printing Co., 1993.
- Michaels, Brian. The river flows north: A history of Putnam County, Florida. Palatka: Putnam County Archives and History Commission, 1986.
- Tolles, Zonira Hunter. Shadows on the sand: A history of the land and people in the vicinity of Melrose, Florida. Keystone Heights: Tolles, 1976.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Putnam County" - 8 pages (including "Sketch of Putnam County Court House")