These bibliographies were compiled to help librarians and their patrons locate the most usable histories of each of Florida's 67 counties.
Materials are generally available through interlibrary loan from the circulating collection of the State Library.
Those only found in the non-circulating Florida Collection are marked with an asterisk (*). These must be used in the Dorothy Dodd Room of the State Library of Florida.
Links within the bibliographies take you to information in our State Library catalog.
- St. Johns
- St. Lucie
- Santa Rosa
- Brooke, Steven. The majesty of St. Augustine. Pelican Pub. Co., 2005.
- *El Escribano. (annual) v.1 - (1955- )
- Fairbanks, George Rainsford. The history and antiquities of the city of St. Augustine, Florida. A facsimile reproduction of the 1858 edition with an introduction and index by Michael V. Gannon. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1975.
- Harman, Joyce Elizabeth. Trade and privateering in Spanish Florida, 1732-1763. St. Augustine: The St. Augustine Historical Society, 1969.
- Harvey, Karen G. St. Augustine and St. Johns County: A pictorial history. Virginia Beach, Virginia: Donning Co., 1980.
- Smith, James M. Before the white man: the pre-history of St. Johns County, Florida. St. Augustine: Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, 1985.
- Spencer, Donald D. St. Augustine: a picture postcard history. Camelot Pub. Co., 2002.
- Wright, James Leitch. British St. Augustine. St. Augustine: Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, 1975.
Rights, Lucille R. A portrait of St. Lucie County, Florida. Virginia Beach: Donning Co., 1994.
- *U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of St. Lucie County, Florida" - 4 pages.
- Van Landingham, Kyle S. Pictorial history of Saint Lucie County, 1565-1910. n.p.: Sun Bank of St. Lucie County, 1988.
- Green, Laurie. Santa Rosa County. Dover, N.H.: Arcadia, 1998.
- King, M. Luther. History of Santa Rosa County: A king’s country. Milton: n.p., 1972.
- Santa Rosa County Heritage Book Committee (Fla.). *The heritage of Santa Rosa County, Florida. Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2000.
- Scott, Laura Lee. Belandville: a French-Canadian colony in west Florida. Patagonia Press, 2005.
- Wells, William James. Pioneering in the panhandle: a look at selected events and families as a part of the history of Santa Rosa County, Florida. n.p., 1976.
- Bergen, Bernice B. Sarasota times past: a reflective collection of the Florida Gulf Coast. Miami: Valiant Press, 1993.
- Elder, Amy A. Sarasota. Arcadia, 2003.
- Grismer, Karl Hiram. The story of Sarasota: The history of the city and county of Sarasota, Florida. Sarasota: M.E. Russell, 1946.
- LaHurd, Jeff. Quintessential Sarasota: stories and pictures from the 1920s to the 1950s. History Press, 2004.
- LeHurd, Jeff. Sarasota: a sentimental journey in vintage images. History Press, 2004.
- Matthews, Janet Snyder. Sarasota: journey to centennial: A pictorial and entertaining commentary on the growth and development of Sarasota, Florida. Tulsa: Continental Heritage Press, 1985.
- Russell, Peg. Sarasota County: dreamers of our past. Sarasota County, .
- Wilpon, Bonnie. Sarasota and Bradenton Florida. Charleston: Arcadia, 1999.
- Belleville, Bill. Losing it all to sprawl: how progress ate my Cracker landscape. University Press of Florida, 2006.
- Francke, Arthur E. Early days of Seminole County, Florida. n.p.: Seminole County Historical Commission in Cooperation with Seminole Community College, Office of Community Instructional Services, 1984.
- Robison, Jim. Flashbacks: the story of central Florida's past. Orange County Historical Society and the Orlando Sentinel, 1995.
- Sanford Historical Society. Sanford. Arcadia, 2003.
- Seminole County and its government. Written and published by League of Women Voters. Altamonte Springs: The League, 1983.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Seminole County" - 4 pages. "History of Court Houses, Seminole County" - 1 page. "Boundaries of Seminole County" - 3 pages.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Sumter County" - 4 pages.
- Bennett, Harold B. Discovering genealogical roots in Suwannee County, Florida: late 1700's to early 1900's. Bowie, M.D.: Heritage Books, 1997.
- *Suwannee County Centennial, September 28 - October 4, 1958. Souvenir Program. Live Oak: Board of County Commissioners, 1958.
- *Suwannee 2000 History Committee (Suwannee County, FLa.). Echoes of the past: a history of Suwannee County, 1858-2000. Southern Heritage Press, ?
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Suwannee County" - 5 pages.
- *Cash, W.T. (William Thomas). Cash writings of Taylor County, Florida. Taylor County Historical Society, 2007.
- *Register, Samuel G. Memoirs of an octogenarian. Florida: S.G. Register, 1995.
- *Taylor County Historical Society. They were here. Perry: Taylor County Historical Society, No.1 (1973); No. 4 (1975).
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Taylor County" - 16 pages.
*Lake Butler, Florida Womens Club. History: Union County, Florida, 1921-1971. Lake Butler: n.p., 1971.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "History of Union County" - 2 pages.
- Cardwell, Harold D. Historic Daytona Beach. Arcadia, 2004.
- Dreggors, William J. A century of West Volusia County, 1860-1960. West Volusia Historical Society, 1993.
- Dreggors, William J., Jr. and John Stephen Hess. A pictorial history of West Volusia County 1870-1940. DeLand, Florida: West Volusia Historical Society, 1989.
- *Gold, Pleasant Daniel. History of Volusia County, Florida. DeLand: E.O. Painter Printing, 1927.
- Schene, Michael G. Hopes, dreams and promises: a history of Volusia County, Florida. Daytona Beach: News Journal Corp., 1976.
- Spencer, Donald D. Volusia County postcards: windows to our past. Camelot Pub. Co., 2001.
- Sweett, Lawrence J. New Smyrna Beach. Arcadia Pub., 2006.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Brief History of the Court Houses of Volusia County" - 4 pages. "Spanish Block House" - 2 pages. "Volusia County" - 5 pages.
- Ashmore, Freeman. Looking back. Stephens Printing, 2002.
- *Crawfordville and Wakulla County: A sketch of local history of leading personalities. Researched and written by the Crawfordville High School Journalism Class and Crawfordville High School, 1954.
- *Holub, Bonnie. Welcome to Wakulla County: the natural place to be. Tallahassee, FL: Florida Advisory Council on Environmental Education, 1997.
- Page, Eddie. Wakulla County. Arcadia, 2001.
- Smith, Elizabeth F. Wakulla County pioneers, 1827-1967. Crawfordville: Magnolia Monthly Press, 1968.
- Wakulla Area Digest. (monthly) Vol. 1: no. 1 - (1992- )
- *Blazek, Ron. Adult education and economic opportunitism in the gilded age: the library, the Chautauqua and the railroads in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. Tallahassee: Florida State University, 1986. (Paper presented at the 1986 annual conference of the American Library Association.)
- *McKinnin, John Love. History of Walton County. With an introduction by A.G. Campbell, Jr. Gainesville: Palmetto Books, 1968.
- *Moore, James E. Walton wanderings: a swing and a miss at history. Valparaiso, FL: Bayou Printing, Inc., 1996.
- *Moylan, Marjorie Morrison. Walton County and the War Between the States. San Rafael, CA: M. M. Moylan, 2002.
- *Of days gone by: reflections of south Walton County, Florida. Santa Rosa Beach, FL: South Walton Three Arts Alliance, 1999.
- Walton County Heritage Book Committee (Walton County, Fla.). The heritage of Walton County, Florida. Heritage Pub. Consultants, 2006.
- The way we were: recollections of south Walton pioneers. Santa Rosa Beach, FL: South Walton Three Arts Alliance, 1996.
*U.S. Work Projects Administration. Historical Records Survey. Typescript. "Historical Sketch of Walton County" - 4 pages. "Illiteracy and Education" - 2 pages. "First County Officers" - 1 page. "County Seat" - 2 pages.
- Carswell, Elba Wilson. Tempestuous triangle: historical notes on Washington County, Florida. Chipley: Washington County School Board, 1974.
- Carswell, Elba Wilson. Washington: Florida’s twelfth county. Chipley, Florida: E.W. Carswell, 1991.
- May, Mary Cathrin. Vernon: the heart of old Washington County, Florida. Mary Cathrin May, 2006.
- Through the years. Compiled and edited by John P. Chance. Chipley: Panhandle Area Educational Cooperative, 1986?
- *The heritage of Washington County, Florida. Heritage Publishing, 2006.