Help America Vote Act (HAVA)
The Help America Vote Act was signed into law in 2002. The law mandated federal election requirements such as the replacement of outdated voting equipment, the creation of centralized statewide databases of registered voters, and improvements to the administration of elections. Currently, the HAVA unit administers several federal grants that provide funds to County Supervisors of Elections offices.
Federal Election Activities Grant Information
The Florida Legislature makes an annual appropriation from Help America Vote Act Funds. Federal Election Activities Funds are allocated and distributed to the Supervisors of Elections based on a formula using the number of active registered voters in each county as of the last General Election’s book closing.
Supervisors use these funds for one or more of the following categories: voter education; poll worker training; standardizing election results reporting; and other federal election administration activities as approved by the Department of State.
|Grant Year||Grant Funds||Grant Funds Disbursed||Issuance Date||End Date|
|FY 2015-16||$2,000,000.00||In Progress||7/1/15||6/30/16|
- Federal HAVA (Public Law 107-252)
- HAVA Complaint Form (DS – DE 59)
- The HAVA complaint form is for persons who believe that a violation of Title III of HAVA has occurred, is occurring or is about to occur relating to voting system standards, provisional ballot voting, registration under the statewide voter registration system, or registration by mail.
- English PDF
- Español PDF
- HAVA State Plan
- Under the Help America Vote Act, the State must submit a plan for how the State will or expects to spend federal funds to satisfy the requirements of the Act. Once submitted to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission, the Plan must be updated and resubmitted every time a material change occurs. The Secretary of State is the chief election official for Florida responsible for developing and amending the Plan. The HAVA State Plan as updated was submitted to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission on May 12, 2009. These 2009 Updates replace the version of the elements that exist in the 2006 HAVA State Plan.
- 2009 Updates to 2006 HAVA State Plan
- 2006 HAVA State Plan - PDF