2018 Election Day Dates
A General Election is held in November of every even-numbered year. The Primary Election is held 10 weeks before the General Election for purposes of nominating party nominees to be voted for in the General Election to fill a national, state, county, or district office. The election dates for 2018 are:
- Primary Election: August 28, 2018
- General Election: November 6, 2018
Note: Special elections may be called at any time during the year.
2018 Voter Registration/Bookclosing Deadline
Eligible individuals can register to vote at any time. The deadline to register in order to participate in an upcoming election is 29 days before the election. The registration deadlines for 2018 are:
- Primary Election: July 30, 2018
- General Election: October 9, 2018
2018 Vote-by-Mail Ballot 'Send' Deadline
For absent stateside and overseas uniformed service member and overseas civilian voters (also known as UOCAVA voters), the deadline for election officials to send ballots is 45 days before an election. The send deadlines for 2018 are:
- Primary Election: July 14, 2018
- General Election: September 22, 2018
For domestic voters, the mandatory period for election officials to send ballots is between 35 and 28 days before an election. The send periods for 2018 are:
- Primary Election: July 24 – 31, 2018
- General Election: October 2 – 9, 2018
2018 Early Voting Period
The early voting period consists of a minimum mandatory period of 8 days. The mandatory early voting periods for 2018 are:
- Primary Election: August 18 – August 25, 2018
- General Election: October 27 – November 3, 2018
In addition, each county Supervisor of Elections may offer optional days of early voting in addition to the mandatory early voting period. Each Supervisor of Elections may choose from one or more of the following days for 2018:
- Primary Election: August 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and/or August 26, 2018
- General Election: October 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and/or November 4, 2018
Check with your county Supervisor of Elections for the additional days of early voting that may be offered in your county.
2018 Candidate Qualifying Period
U.S. Senator, U.S. Representative, Judicial, State Attorney and Public Defender (20th Circuit Only)
- Noon, April 30 – Noon, May 4, 2018
- Note: Qualifying papers will be accepted beginning April 16, 2018, pursuant to Section 99.061(8), F.S.
Governor and Cabinet, State Senator, State Representative, County Offices and Special Districts
- Noon, June 18 – Noon, June 22, 2018
- Note: Qualifying papers will be accepted beginning June 4, 2018, pursuant to Section 99.061(8), F.S.
Scheduled County and Municipal Elections
Please check with your county Supervisor of Elections for the most up-to-date information regarding county, municipal and other local elections.