Para español, seleccione de la lista

Military and Overseas Citizens Voting

The following information applies if you are a United States uniformed services member on active duty, a Merchant Marine member, spouse or dependent thereof, or a United States citizen residing outside of the United States. In Florida, the term “vote-by-mail ballot” is used in lieu of “absentee ballot.” See Chapter 2016-37, Laws of Florida.

Registration and Vote-by-Mail Ballot Request

You may register to vote and request a vote-by-mail ballot at the same time by using a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). You may obtain the FPCA from any Voting Assistance Officer or from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.  You may also call or request by mail, fax, or email to your county Supervisor of Elections that a voter registration application or a vote-by-mail ballot be sent to you. Unless you designate otherwise, your request for vote-by-mail ballot is valid for all elections through the end of the calendar year for the second ensuing regularly scheduled general election.

Mailing and Tracking of Vote-by-MailBallots

Supervisors of Elections must mail vote-by-mail ballots to military and overseas citizens no later than 45 days before each election; however, you may request that your vote-by-mail ballot be faxed or e-mailed to you. If you include an email address with your vote-by-mail ballot request, the Supervisor will notify you by email that your request has been received. The Supervisor will also provide you the estimated date the ballot will be sent to you and let you know when he or she receives your voted ballot.

You may track your vote-by-mail ballot request and ballot online by using either the Division of Elections' Check your Voter Status webpage or through your County Supervisor of Elections website.

If it is near to Election Day and you still have not received your requested vote-by-mail ballot, immediately contact your County Supervisor of Elections. Alternatively, if you are an absent stateside or overseas uniformed services personnel or spouse or dependent absent because of the uniformed services personnel or an overseas U.S. citizen, you can use the emergency back-up ballot known as the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB).  It can be used to vote in any election for federal office and any state or local election (See section 101.6925, Florida Statutes; Rule 1S-2.051, Florida Administrative Code).

Extra Time for Return of Vote-by-Mail Ballots for Certain Elections

For presidential preference primary elections and general elections only and by operation of section 100.191, F.S., special elections and special primary elections, an overseas voter's vote-by-mail ballot postmarked or dated by Election Day and received within 10 days of the election shall be counted provided the ballot is otherwise proper.

Additional Information

Further information about the FPCA and the FWAB can be found at the Federal Voting Assistance Program's website at