Research Stipend Program
Sponsored by Friends of the State Library and Archives of Florida
The Division of Library and Information Services is pleased to announce a competitive stipend program for qualified researchers, sponsored by the Friends of the State Library and Archives of Florida. The program is intended to support exceptional projects utilizing the collections of the State Archives and State Library of Florida that can only be accessed on-site. Up to two applicants will be selected each year.
Selected applicants will receive $1,000 to conduct research at the State Archives and State Library of Florida. An initial payment of $500 will be distributed when the selected applicant arrives to conduct research. The remainder of the stipend will be distributed once the applicant has submitted a final report after completing their research in Tallahassee.
These payments will be reported to the IRS per federal requirements; winning applicants must provide us with their social security numbers for that purpose.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Academic historians, graduate students and undergraduate students conducting research for a thesis, dissertation, article, book, documentary or other publicly-disseminated product.
- Community historians and independent researchers or writers conducting research for a project relating to the history of Florida or a Florida community or region, such as a book, documentary film, public exhibit or other publicly-disseminated product.
- K-12 teachers or professionals developing curriculum materials or other projects aimed at enhancing the study and teaching of Florida history.
- Feasibility of the project and the availability of materials at the State Archives and State Library of Florida to support the project’s stated goals.
- The project’s creative use of archival and/or rare special collections materials at the State Archives and State Library of Florida that are unavailable from other institutions or online and can only be accessed on-site.
- The project’s likelihood to substantially increase or enhance the understanding of some aspect of Florida history and culture or that of a Florida community or region.
2022-2023 application window is closed. Watch this space for future application cycles.
Applicants are responsible for reading the application instructions thoroughly and submitting all required materials by the deadline.
All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decisions by March 1, 2023.
All research supported by this stipend must be completed and the Final Report submitted no later than June 15, 2024.
Before you apply
All applicants must contact the State Archives (and/or the State Library if appropriate) for guidance regarding collections relevant to the proposed project.
Contact the State Archives of Florida at [email protected] or 850.245.6719.
Contact the State Library of Florida at [email protected] or 850.245.6682.
Be sure to specify that you are calling in regard to the Research Stipend Program.