We prioritize the health and safety of the public and our employees.
After careful consideration, the State Library and the State Archives of Florida
as well as the Capitol Branch of the State Library will be closed to the public until further notice.
Please contact us Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Eastern, at 850.245.6607 for more information.
It is with great sadness that we share the news of the death of Barratt Wilkins, former State Librarian and Director of the Division of Library and Information Services. Wilkins began with the Department of State in 1973, as the assistant to the State Librarian. Four years later, Wilkins became Florida's State Librarian as well as the Division's director.
Under his leadership, the Division witnessed the growth of library services in all Florida counties, the establishment of the Florida Library Network and the creation of the Florida Electronic Library. Wilkins promoted the expansion of collections and services of the State Archives of Florida, including the inception and growth of Florida Memory.
Wilkins was a major collaborator in developing and passing national library legislation. He provided leadership support for statewide organizations, such as the Florida Library Association and the Florida Center for the Book, and increased the Division's involvement in regional and national organizations.
He raised awareness of libraries, library education, and information science through leadership and participation in national issues. Wilkins retired from public service January 6, 2003.
We would love to collect your stories or memories of Barratt Wilkins. You can email them to [email protected].
- Search for information on government, tourism, healthcare, the environment, legal resources, retirement and more.
- Formerly the Florida Government Information Locator Service (FGILS).
- Search and view thousands of historic photographs, videos, documents, audio recordings and more.
- Educational resources for students of all ages.
- The FEL is a gateway to digital magazines, journal articles, newspapers, almanacs, encyclopedias and books.
- Available to all Florida citizens.
- Search for job openings in Florida libraries.
- Job seekers can post their resumes.
- Download our public comment policy.
- View current and past meetings and notices with links to their agendas.
R.A. Gray Building
500 South Bronough Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0250
Email: [email protected]