Library Policies & Fees
- New borrowers need proof of Florida residency and identification.
- State agency employees and elected officials may apply for a library card online.
- Most materials check out books for 28 days.
- There is no limit to how many materials can be checked out at one time.
Books may be renewed twice:
- In person.
- By telephone at 850.245.6680.
- Or log in to your account and renew online.
- If another lender has requested your item, we cannot renew it.
- Notices sent out one week after due date.
- You must return all overdue items before checking out new ones.
|Mass Market Paperbacks||$6|
- Additional $8 processing fee per item.
- Pay for lost or damaged materials at the circulation desk.
- You can buy a new copy of the lost item instead of paying the replacement cost.
- Still must pay $8 processing fee.
- Make checks payable to: Florida Department of State.
Library use policies
Visiting the library
The State Library welcomes visitors to our two locations: on the second floor of the R.A. Gray Building, and Room 701 at the Florida Capitol.
When visiting the R.A. Gray location, please sign in with staff.
Materials in the public reading room of the R.A. Gray Building must be used in the library. You cannot check them out.
Although these materials do not circulate, we often have circulating copies of newer materials. Please ask a reference librarian if you need assistance at the R.A. Gray State Library branch.
Current state employees can access our R.A. Gray Building circulating collection by borrowing a stack pass. Please present your state ID; we will hold it at the circulation desk.
You may bring in:
- Note cards
- Loose blank papers
- Ring binders without materials in pockets
- Portable computing devices
- Light wraps (such as sweaters and shawls)
You may NOT bring:
- Food or drinks
- Ink pens or any form of ink
- Briefcases, bags or purses
- Envelopes or other containers
- Books or other materials which might be confused with holdings in the reading room
We provide lockers at no charge for storing personal items.
ALL MATERIAL BROUGHT INTO THE LIBRARY MAY BE EXAMINED UPON LEAVING.
Public computers and internet use
- You may use an Internet-accessible computer for up to one hour.
- Read our Internet Use Policy.
Copies, scans, printing
|Services||Price Per Page|
|Photocopies (letter and legal)||$0.25|
|Prints from microfilm||$0.25|
|Scans (from print or microfilm)||$0.25|
The State Library reserves the right to restrict the copying of any materials that could be harmed by such activity. Preservation is our goal. Many older and fragile government publications have been scanned and made available online. Contact the State Publications section at [email protected] or 850.245.6642 for more information.
|Mailing fees for requests up to $50||$2.00|
|Mailing fees for requests more than $50||$4.00|
|Mailing fees for requests more than $50||$2.00 per order|
Fees are regulated by Section 15.09, Florida Statutes. State law requires that all fees for services be collected in advance (see Attorney General Opinion, 77-120).
Cash, checks, money orders (payable to the Florida Department of State) and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover) are accepted forms of payment.
*A certified copy is a photocopy stamped as having been reproduced by the State Library. It is accompanied by a letter avowing it is a true and exact copy. The letters are signed and dated with an embossed seal. The fee of $8.75 is per certification, and is in addition to copy charges.
Certified copies are not available in digital format.
Order by mail
State Library of Florida
500 South Bronough Street/MS#9C
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0250
Please do not send cash in the mail.
Order by phone
Library Reference Unit: 850.245.6682
Order by email
Please do not include credit card details with an emailed request. Call the reference unit to provide payment.