The Civil War in Florida
This bibliography lists some of the published works we hold on the Civil War in Florida.
Book links take you to the record of the item in the library catalog, where you can find out more information, search for books similar to it, or place a hold on the item if you are a library card holder.
For online guides to the resources at the Archives, see Florida Memory:
- Smith, Andrew F. Starving the South: How the North Won the Civil War. New York: St. Martin's Press, 2011.
- Wynne, Nick. Florida Civil War Blockades: Battling for the Coast. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2011.
- Waters, Zack C. A Small but Spartan Band: The Florida Brigade in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 2010.
- Schafer, Daniel L. Thunder on the River: the Civil War in Northeast Florida. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2010.
- Keegan, John. The American Civil War: A Military History. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2009.
- Frank, Lisa Tendrich. Civil War: People and Perspectives. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2009.
- Buker, George E. Blockaders, Refugees, & Contrabands: Civil War on Florida’s Gulf Coast, 1861-1865. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1993.
- Davis, William Watson. The Civil War and Reconstruction in Florida. New York: Columbia University, 1913; reprint, Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1964.
- Dickison, John J. "Military History of Florida." In Confederate Military History, vol. 11, part 2, edited by Clement Evans. Atlanta: Confederate Publishing Company, 1898; reprint (as vol. 16), Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot Publishing Company, 1989.
- Dickison, Mary Elizabeth. Dickison and His Men: Reminiscences of the War in Florida. 1890. Facsimile reproduction, Jacksonville: San Marco Bookstore, 1984.
- Fretwell, Jacqueline K., ed. Civil War Times in St. Augustine. Reprint of El Escribano: St. Augustine Journal of History, vol. 23; Port Salerno: Florida Classics Library, 1988.
- Hillhouse, Don. Heavy Artillery & Light Infantry: A History of the 1st Florida Special Battalion & 10th [Florida] Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. Rome, Georgia: Published by the author, 1992.
- Johns, John E. Florida During the Civil War. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1963; reprint, Macclenny, Florida: R. J. Ferry Publishing, 1989.
- Proctor, Samuel, ed. Florida: A Hundred Years Ago. Coral Gables: Florida Library and Historical Commission Civil War Centennial Committee, 1965. (A day-by-day listing of Civil War events in Florida.)
- Holland, Keith V., Lee B. Manley, and James W. Towart, eds. The Maple Leaf: An Extraordinary American Civil War Shipwreck. Jacksonville: St. Johns Archaeological Expeditions, Inc., 1993.
- Martin, Richard A., and Daniel L. Schafer. Jacksonville's Ordeal by Fire: A Civil War History. Jacksonville: Florida Publishing Company, 1984.
- Moylan, Marjorie Morrison. Walton County and the War Between the States. San Rafael, CA: M. M. Moylan, 2002.
- Nulty, William H. Confederate Florida: The Road to Olustee. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1990.
- Parks, Virginia, and Sandra Johnson, ed. Civil War Views of Pensacola. Pensacola: Pensacola Historical Society, 1993.
- Taylor, Robert A. Rebel Storehouse: Florida in the Confederate Economy. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1995.
Articles and Book Chapters of Interest
- Boyd, Mark F. "The Joint Operations of the Federal Army and Navy Near St. Marks, March 1865." Florida Historical Quarterly 29 (October 1950).
- Brown, Canter, Jr. "The Civil War, 1861-1865." In The New History of Florida, edited by Michael Gannon. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1996.
- Cleveland, Mary Ann. "Florida Women in the Civil War." In Florida Decades: A Sesquicentennial History, 1845-1995, edited by James J. Horgan and Lewis N. Wynne. St. Leo, Florida: St. Leo College Press, 1995.
- Coles, David J. "They Fought Like Devils: Black Troops in Florida During the Civil War." In Florida’s Heritage of Diversity: Essays in Honor of Samuel Proctor, edited by Mark I. Greenberg, William Warren Rogers and Canter Brown, Jr. Tallahassee: Sentry Press, 1997.
- Reiger, John E. "Deprivation, Disaffection, and Desertion in Confederate Florida." Florida Historical Quarterly 48 (January 1970).
- Rivers, Larry E. "A Troublesome Property: Master-Slave Relations in Florida, 1821-1865." In The African American Heritage of Florida, edited by David R. Colburn and Jane L. Landers. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1995.
- "Baptist Minister James Page: Alternatives for African American Leadership in Post-Civil War Florida.” In Florida's Heritage of Diversity: Essays in Honor of Samuel Proctor, edited by Mark I. Greenberg, William Warren Rogers and Canter Brown, Jr.Tallahassee: Sentry Press, 1997.
- Schafer, Daniel L. "Freedom Was As Close As the River: African Americans and the Civil War in Northeast Florida." In The African American Heritage of Florida, edited by David R. Colburn and Jane L. Landers. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1995.
- Waters, Zack C. "Tell Them I Died Like a Confederate Soldier: Finegan's Florida Brigade at Cold Harbor." Florida Historical Quarterly 69 (October 1990).
- Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park
- Battle of Olustee and the Olustee Battlefield Site and Reenactment