Para español, seleccione de la lista

Court Forms

We do not recommend that librarians help users fill out court forms, even though this is generally not considered the unlicensed practice of law.  

While it is permissible for a nonlawyer to engage in “limited oral communications” to assist a person in the completion of blanks on a legal form approved by the Supreme Court of Florida, a number of requirements are attached to some forms such as Family Law forms.

Source: The Florida Bar, Chapter 10, Rules Governing the Investigation and Prosecution of the Unlicensed Practice of Law (PDF)

Language to include on forms

Except for forms filed by the petitioner in an action for an injunction for protection against domestic or repeat violence, the following language shall appear on any form completed by a nonlawyer and any individuals assisting in the completion of the form. This form was completed with the assistance of:

Name of individual

Name of business

Address

Telephone number

Disclosure

Before a nonlawyer assists a person in the completion of a form, the nonlawyer should provide the person with a copy of a disclosure which contains the following provisions:

(Name) told me that he/she is a nonlawyer and may not give legal advice, cannot tell me what my rights or remedies are, cannot tell me how to testify in court, and cannot represent me in court.

(Name) informed me that he/she is not a paralegal as defined by the rule and cannot call himself/herself a paralegal.

(Name) told me that he/she may only type the factual information provided by me in writing into the blanks on the form. (Name) may not help me fill in the form and may not complete the form for me. If using a form approved by the Supreme Court of Florida, (Name) may ask me factual questions to fill in the blanks on the form and may also tell me how to file the form.

____ I can read English

____ I cannot read English but this notice was read to me by (Name) in (Language) which I understand.

Copies of the disclosure 

A copy of the disclosure, signed by both the nonlawyer and the person, shall be given to the person to retain.

The nonlawyer shall keep a copy in the person's file.

The nonlawyer shall also keep copies for at least 6 years of all forms given to the person being assisted. The disclosure does not act as or constitute a waiver, disclaimer or limitation of liability.

imls180.for.panel.jpgMany of these resources and programs are funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Florida's LSTA program is administered by the Department of State's Division of Library and Information Services.

>